There are many ways to remove unwanted hair. Women have been removing hair from their faces, arms, legs and bikini area for thousands of years.
The methods we will discuss are not new but greatly improved from their ancient predecessors. We will review the most common home hair removal methods to help you decide which may work best for you.
- Before any hair removal procedure, make sure your skin is clean and free from oils or moisturizers. Products on the skin can inhibit depilatories’ activating agents and waxes’ ability to grab hairs, making them less effective.
- Between hair removal procedures, use a loofah sponge to help keep hair follicles free of ingrown hairs. Exfoliating scrubs can also be very beneficial
- After your hair removal treatment, soothe the skin with a creme or gel to prevent bumps, redness and to relieve any irritation. Bikini Zone® Medicated Creme and Gel are perfect as post-hair removal treatments. They are dermatologist-tested and work immediately to reduce the irritation, pain and itching you may have after hair removal.
Hair removal Tips from Hair Off
Mittens and buffers are made from very fine abrasive fibers. With gentle pressure and a circular motion, you can buff away unwanted hair. The fibers actually grab the hair and remove it from the root or break it at skin level, depending on the length of the hairs. This method is inexpensive and leaves the skin very smooth. Just be sure not to press too hard or you will irritate the skin.
This process of hair removal involves applying a thin layer of wax to the skin in the direction of hair growth, then smoothing it over with a piece of cloth. As the wax cools it adheres to both the hair and the linen. While holding the skin taut, you pull the linen off in one quick motion against the direction of hair growth. Using the same linen, dab to remove any excess wax.
These creams break down the proteins within the hair to “break” it just below skin level. The product is applied to clean dry skin, which should be free from cuts and abrasions. You should not rub the product in; it should be applied gently in an even layer over the skin. The time for the depilatory to work depends on the product’s directions and the coarseness and thickness of the hair. After 4 minutes you should check the area to monitor the product’s effectiveness. You may have to leave it on a bit longer, but don’t exceed the recommended time. When your hair comes off with a gentle wipe with a damp washcloth, you can remove it. DO NOT RUB! Gently wipe with a washcloth and lukewarm water, rinse thoroughly and pat dry. DO NOT USE SOAP, to avoid possible irritation sometimes caused by the chemicals in the depilatories.
Shaving cuts the hair at skin level with a razor. There are different types of razors on the market, including electric razors that can be used either on wet skin, dry skin or both. In general, a gel or foam is applied to the area to be shaved, which encourages the hairs to stand up, while providing a slippery surface for the blades to glide on. These soapy substances also help in reducing nicks and cuts.
- Bikini Zone® Anti-Bumps Shave Gel is specially formulated to help prevent bumps and irritation from developing after shaving the sensitive bikini area.
- Bikini Zone® Sensitive Skin Shave Gel for sensitive skin is specially formulated to help prevent irritation while shaving legs and other body parts.